How Much Do You Tip a Hair Stylist?

For some reason, I get asked this a lot as well as "Why do you have to tip a hairdresser?"

So, I thought I would take some time and answer both of these questions here on my blog to let others know what my opinion is.

Now, right up front, I will tell you, that I am not, nor ever was a hair stylist, hairdresser or ever worked in a hair salon, so my opinion may differ from someone who has worked in this profession.


Why Do You Have To Tip a Hairdresser?


My simple answer, "You don't!"

When it comes down to it, you aren't forced to tip any hair stylist anything. There is no rule that says you must leave a tip.

That being said, the reason why tipping in a hair salon is so popular is because hair stylists are performing a service for a customer. If you like the service that you received, it is a good idea to tip that person to recognize the good job that they did.

Lately, it has become traditional to automatically tip your hair stylists no matter what kind of service you receive. In fact, some hairdressers will flat out refuse to work on a customer who has not tipped or tipped well in the past. Even some salon owners may not be able to get you in for an appointment if you are known as a customer who doesn't tip. This is just the way it has become.

But, I don't believe in tipping well when it comes to a botched hair job or when a hair stylists doesn't listen to a word you say or doesn't want to put in the extra effort to make your hair look right. In that case, I say don't leave a tip or a very small one and just never go back.

How Much Do You Tip a Hair Stylist?


When it comes to actually tipping amounts it is going to range dramatically depending on what type of salon you go to as well as what type of services you have done.

My normal hair cut that I get every 3 months cost approximately $50 for the stylist that I normally go to. My normal tipping amount is $10, which works out to 20%.  I tip this much because I really like my stylists and it took me a while to find one that has never disappointed and that I really enjoy going to.

That being said, if you are satisfied with your service from your hair dresser a tip in the amount of 10% - 20% would suffice. I do believe that if you are going to a cheaper salon that doesn't wash/blow-dry your hair, then you can even go lower than the 10% and maybe just make it an even $3 or $5.

Again, this is all up to. You should never feel obligated or pressured to have to tip 15% or 20%. Tip what you want and if the hair dresser doesn't like it, then find a new one that deserves a bigger tip.

Check out more opinions on tipping a hair stylists here.

How Much Do Hairdressers Make?


There are usually two types of hair stylists. The first is one that is an actual employee of the salon and receives a commission based on the price of the service performed. For example, if you get a $45 hair cut, the hair stylist will receive anywhere from 30% - 50% of the $45 and then be taxed on top of that.

The other type of hair stylist is an independent contractor who rents out a booth at the salon. They pay to have a chair there along with paying for their own hair color, supplies, shampoos, and other products. But, they get to keep all of the money they charge for the service. So, in this example, your stylists may charge $45 for a hair cut and gets to keep all of that  money but then pays taxes on it as an independent contractor as well as pays a monthly fee to the salon to rent the chair.

If you are curious which one your hair dresser is, a company will usually tell you if the person is an actual employee or if they rent the space. This may sway your tipping amount as well.

Some people may disagree with me, but I do think that we have become "tip hungry." I completely understand tipping waitresses and waiters as they only make around $2.10 an hour. They need those tips to live.

But I am seeing tip jars all over the place from Dunkin Donuts to my local dry cleaners. I know that when my sister recently moved, the moving guys she hired expected a tip as well. Um, isn't that why you get paid from your company? Total tangent, but there are definitely some situations that I don't believe necessitate a tip, so keep that in mind when taking my word about tipping!



No comments:

Post a Comment